Medical Matters > Residential Care Home

ME Essential Spring 2019


Are there any specialist nursing homes or units offering care for people with severe ME? I seem to recall that there was once an initiative to raise funds for an ME care home but this never went through due to lack of funds. I wonder if such a venture could be initiated again?


Unfortunately, we are not aware of any specialist nursing homes or hospital units offering specialist care for people with severe ME/CFS. And the two hospital-based units that we did recommend – Harold Wood Hospital in Essex and Burrswood Hospital in Kent – no longer have an in-patient facility for people with ME/CFS.

The ME/CFS Specialist Service in Leeds has some in-patient beds but we receive very mixed feedback on this service – so I would recommend contacting people who have been there before pursuing this option. As you say, the initiative to set up a care home for people with ME/CFS failed – partially due to lack of funds.

Raising sufficient money to purchase or rent a suitable property and then run such a service would be a major undertaking and is not something that the ME Association could take on at the moment.

More information


Information provided by The ME Association should not be construed as medical advice. Don't assume any new or worsened symptoms are simply the result of having ME/CFS or Long Covid. We recommend that any information you deem relevant is discussed with your NHS GP as soon as possible. It is important that you seek personalised medical advice from the GP who is in charge of your care and who knows you well.

Search Medical Matters

Shopping Basket