MPs visit Burnley on March 7 to test local opinion about move to Employment and Support Allowance

The House of Commons Works and Pensions Committee will hold an open meeting in Burnley on the afternoon of Monday, 7 March, 2011, on plans to move people currently claiming Incapacity Benefit to the new Employment and Support Allowance.

Burnley is one of the two areas where the process is being piloted before being rolled out throughout the UK later this year. This committee is keen to hear the views of local residents.

The meeting will be held between 2 and 4pm at Burnley Football Club, George Bray Suite, Harry Potts Way, Burnley BB10 4BX.

People currently claiming incapacity benefit will now undergo a work capability assessment (WCA) which will be used to decide whether they are fit for work or are eligible to continue to claim benefits which reflect their limited capacity to work.

The Committee of MPs is interested to hear your views, particularly if you have been through the assessment process. They want to learn about the following:

• Do you understand the process for moving people from incapacity benefit to ESA?

• If you are claiming Incapacity Benefit, have you been given enough information about the process for assessment?

• If you have been through the Work Capability Assessment, what was the experience like for you?

• Did you feel that the assessor understood your condition? Did they make you feel welcome and treat you as an individual?

• Should the WCA be changed? If so, in what ways?

• What support has Jobcentre Plus provided before and after the WCA?

• If you have been found fit for work, what support do you think you need to help you find and keep a job?

• Do you plan to appeal against the decision on your future benefit entitlement? If so, has this process been explained to you?

• What are the key lessons that should be learned from the Burnley trial before the national roll-out?


0344 576 5326

Available every day of the week between these times: 10am - 12noon, 2pm - 4pm and 7pm - 9pm.

Calls cost the same as other standard landline numbers (starting 01 or 02). If you have a call package for your landline or mobile phone then calls will normally come out of your inclusive minutes.