We are sad to report the death of ITV journalist Gary Burgess. He was a wonderful man, with a great sense of humour despite what he was experiencing, and was always ready and willing to lend a hand and share his enormous talent to raise awareness about cancer and ME/CFS.
Gary was a supporter of the ME Association and used his journalistic and broadcasting expertise to reach large audiences and inform more people about this often neglected illness. In 2018 and 2019 he produced an excellent and highly rated podcast series for the charity, “The ME Show”. It can still be be heard here and on iTunes. Gary talked to members from the patient community and interviewed expert guests. We hope to relaunch this series in the near future in memory of Gary whom we will never forget.
“Sad news indeed from Jersey. RIP, Gary – we will miss you! Gary was a highly respected broadcaster and journalist and a fine friend to the ME Association and everyone with M.E. May his husband Alan and all his family find strength at this difficult time.”Dr Charles Shepherd, Hon. Medical Adviser to the ME Association
In a final message, written for release after his death, Gary wrote:
“I've had the best life. I've had the luckiest life. I met my soul mate and the love of my life who went on to become my husband. I got to work with some of the most amazing people in newsrooms and studios doing the job I absolutely adore. And I've been able to share my own relatively short time on this planet surrounded by friends and loved ones who have enriched my life in ways they may never truly understand…”Gary Burgess taken from ITV News report Sunday, 02 January 2022
News media reports
- ITV News: Journalist Gary Burgess dies aged 46 (this report includes video on Gary's reporting life)
- ITV News: Alan Burgess shares statement following death of husband Gary Burgess
- BBC News: Channel Islands broadcaster Gary Burgess dies aged 46
- The Guardian: ITV journalist Gary Burgess dies of cancer aged 46
- The Daily Express: Gary Burgess dead: ITV star dies in his sleep age 46 as heartbroken husband speaks out