This is well meaning but some parts of this new resource for nurses are very disappointing.
- Placing mental health symptoms first results in an implication that mental health problems are of prime concern
- Including fatigue that does not ease with rest and cognitive decline as mental health symptoms
- No acknowledgement of the important clinical and pathological overlaps between ME/CFS and Long Covid
- No mention of symptoms caused by dysautonomia – orthostatic intolerance, PoTS (postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome) – and how to assess autonomic dysfunction
- No mention of post-exertional malaise/symptom exacerbation
Dr Charles Shepherd
Trustee and Hon. Medical Adviser. The ME Association.