Tony Britton, Fundraising and PR Manager, ME Association.
The first-ever virtual edition of Prudential RideLondon – said to be the world’s greatest festival of cycling – will take place on 15 and 16 August to celebrate cycling and raise funds to help save the UK’s charities.
My Prudential RideLondon is a free event designed to let riders of all ages and abilities cycle a range of distances from wherever they are in the world, have fun and raise crucial funds for their chosen charity.
It would be great if we could have a few ME Association supporters take part. Visit Prudential My RideLondon to learn more about the various challenges and to register your interest!
Prudential My RideLondon
The event has been split up into four challenges:
- My Prudential RideLondon-Surrey 100: 100-mile ride
- My Prudential RideLondon-Surrey 46: 46-mile ride
- My Prudential RideLondon-Surrey 19: 19-mile ride
- My Prudential RideLondon FreeCycle: An event that allows you to set your own challenge (starting from 1km) on the wheels of your choice: bikes, push scooters, skateboards, trikes, balance bikes, rollerskates, wheelchairs or anything that is self-propelled (e-bikes are just fine too).
The Prudential RideLondon is a legacy event from the 2012 London Olympics and, for the seven times it has been run since then, it’s seen up to 100,000 cyclists travelling along traffic-free roads in London and Surrey.
Hugh Brasher, Event Director of Prudential RideLondon, said:
“After the disappointment of the cancellation of this year’s Prudential RideLondon, we were determined to create something special for our riders, partners and the hundreds of charities that rely on the event for vital income.
“My Prudential RideLondon is building on the success of The 2.6 Challenge – created following the postponement of the London Marathon – which became the biggest collective fundraising effort in the world involving nearly 4,000 charities.
“Charities desperately need help to continue to provide vital services to every sector of society and fund critical research. In this socially-distanced world, it’s also vitally important to encourage people to get on two wheels rather than use public transport. The My Prudential RideLondon campaign has been created to achieve both these aims.
“My Prudential RideLondon is completely free and offers a fundraising challenge for everyone, whether that’s an amateur rider doing 100 miles or a family enjoying a 1km bike ride together. It can be done wherever you are and at any time on 15 or 16 August. Whatever you do, we urge you to raise funds for a charity of your choice – and have fun!”
How it works
Participants need to register in advance and select their challenge at www.myridelondon.co.uk. Our supporters can then start fundraising for the ME Association, using the Virgin Giving Money platform.
The new My Prudential RideLondon app will be available to download in event week. This will give every participant and supporter a unique ride day experience, including:
- A GPS function that enables friends and family to follow a rider’s progress on the virtual Prudential RideLondon route
- Creation of a personalised Prudential RideLondon certificate that shows the rider’s completed route and ride time
- Selfie frames to give riders personalised Prudential RideLondon finisher photographs
- Direct donation button through to each rider’s Virgin Money Giving fundraising page
In addition, every rider aged over 18 who registers will have the option of being entered into a fantastic competition that has 25 top-quality prizes available including a brand new Brompton bicycle valued at more than £1,000, a High5 nutrition bundle worth £250 and top-of-the-range cycling equipment including a SRAM groupset and Zipp wheels.
- Participants are asked to follow current Government guidelines on cycling. For more information, click here.
The ME Association
Please support our vital work
We are a national charity working hard to make the UK a better place for people whose lives have been devastated by an often-misunderstood neurological disease.
If you would like to support our efforts and ensure we are able to inform, support, advocate and invest in biomedical research, then please donate today.
Just click the image opposite or visit our JustGiving page for one-off donations or to establish a regular payment. You can even establish your own fundraising event.
ME Association Registered Charity Number 801279