Parliamentary Question | what medical evidence is required for PIP claims? | 12 September 2016

Kevin Foster, Conservative MP for Torbay, asked the Secretary of State for Work and Pensions: “What forms of medical evidence his Department accepts for personal independence payments claims from a person suffering from (a) myalgic encephalopathy and (b) other illnesses with variable symptoms that permit part-time work”.

In a written reply on September 12, Minister of State at the Department for Work and Pensions Penny Mordaunt replied:

Personal Independence Payment (PIP) is a non-means-tested, non-taxable cash benefit that is paid regardless of the employment status of the claimant. It has been designed to take full account of fluctuating and variable conditions.
The Department encourages claimants to provide as much relevant evidence as necessary to support their claim. The ‘How your disability affects you’ form and accompanying guidance sets out the range of information that can help the Department reach a decision. The guidance for Health Professionals also sets out sources of further evidence which could help inform their advice to the Department (Section 2.3 Further Evidence); this includes family members, carers or anyone else who supports them.
This guidance can be accessed on the website:


0344 576 5326

Available every day of the week between these times: 10am - 12noon, 2pm - 4pm and 7pm - 9pm.

Calls cost the same as other standard landline numbers (starting 01 or 02). If you have a call package for your landline or mobile phone then calls will normally come out of your inclusive minutes.