ME/CFS NHS Specialist Services
The NICE Guideline on ME/CFS
Find an NHS Specialist Service Near You
Find an NHS ME/CFS Specialist Service Near You
Enter your postcode or location:
With the publication of the NICE Clinical Guideline on ME/CFS in October 2021, many existing ME/CFS specialist services are in the process of making improvements that will see the Guideline's recommendations implemented, and this might mean that their websites contain dated information.
- We are currently reviewing the website listing and will be making updates throughout 2023/24 and including Long Covid Clinics.
- We are working with the NHS and social care providers to ensure existing services are improved and new services commissioned where none currently exist in accordance with the Guideline’s recommendations and local demand.
- We are aware that no specialist services are available in Northern Ireland, Scotland, and Wales and that people in these countries are more reliant on GPs and primary care.
- We are working with the Department of Health and Social Care on a Delivery Plan that we hope will see ME/CFS raised as a health and social care priority and further support implementation of the Guideline’s recommendations across the whole of the UK.
- While patients can contact any of the existing services in England for information, referrals for assessment, diagnosis, help with coping and management, must be made by a GP.
- If there isn't an NHS specialist service in a particular area a patient can be referred to one of their choosing (under the NHS Constitution), and would need to speak to a GP in the first instance.
Please also consider:
The impact that travelling to a service and taking part in regular management sessions could have on health. Once diagnosed, many specialist services will offer up to 6 or more sessions where a patient ca learn how best to cope and manage ME/CFS. Not all services are currently able to provide remote access, so please check what will be involved and how accessible the appointments are, before making any travel plans.
If you find any of the information contained in this listing to be inaccurate, then please let us know: firstname.lastname@example.org