The purpose of this free leaflet is to provide information on all aspects of Flu Vaccination so that people with M.E. can make an informed decision with their doctor. We also discuss the Pneumococcal (pneumonia) vaccine.
“Seasonal flu (also known as influenza) is a highly infectious illness caused by several types of flu virus. It causes up to 30,000 deaths per year in England alone…
“As there is no simple answer as to whether you should have flu vaccine if you have ME/CFS, the purpose of this leaflet is to provide information on all aspects of flu vaccination in relation to ME/CFS. You and your doctor can then decide if you ought to have this protection…”
Pneumococcal Vaccination (Pneumonia)
“This vaccine is now being offered to people over the age of 65 and those with other health conditions (e.g. heart and lung disease) that place them at increased risk from this bacterial infection. It provides very valuable protection against an infection that can cause a severe type of pneumonia…”
Topics discussed in this leaflet include:
- Covid-19 and flu vaccinations this year
- The science behind flu viruses and vaccines
- The 2020-2021 flu vaccine
- Do people with M.E. meet NHS criteria for a free flu vaccine?
- Who should have the flu vaccination?
- Key points in favour of the vaccine if you have M.E.
- Key points where caution is required if you have M.E.
- Where to have the flu jab
- Reducing the risk of catching flu virus and passing it on to others
- Research into flu vaccines and M.E.
- Pneumococcal Vaccination (Pneumonia)
The ME Association telephone helpline – ME Connect – is available every day of the year, during the hours of 10am-12noon, 2pm-4pm and 7pm-9pm. Please phone: 0344 576 5326 if you have any questions or would simply like to talk to someone who is there to listen.
Please note this is a download. You can read it on-screen and save to your computer, phone or other device and can attach it to any email you might need to send. But you will need access to a printer if you wish it printed.
If you prefer you can download the leaflet here without registering via the website shop.