Fundraising without the challenge…
We are often asked how people can support the ME Association without needing to do a sponsored event.
For those who are unable to do a physical challenge, or for the times when you just want to help in an easier way; there are now valued alternatives that will still mean you can support your favourite M.E. charity.
- Collection boxes – still a great way to raise funds,
- Online shopping – Amazon Smile, easyfundraising, and eBay for charity,
- unwanted household items – with free postage and free collection for larger amounts,
- an old car – with free collection,
- printer and toner cartridges – free postage, and,
- stamps – an additional service.
Even in these days of credit cards and online transfers, small change can still make a real difference to the ME Association.
Give these discrete boxes to friends and neighbours or put them out at your sponsored events, and see just how much coin you can collect.
You can order collection boxes from Tony Britton, see below.
Fundraise with JustGiving
If you choose to fundraise for a challenge, event or activity, please consider registering it on JustGiving.
- It’s a convenient platform that allows you to easily share it with family, friends, and the wider community via email or social media for example.
- You can easily monitor how much money you are raising – can keep everyone informed of your progress – and the funds that you receive will be automatically donated to the ME Association.
- Just click the button above for more information, and please let Tony Britton, our fundraising manager, know when you begin fundraising. He has a wealth of fundraising experience and can lend support and advice if you need it.
Give a Car
Have you an old banger that you need rid of? Or a car you no longer want? ‘Give a Car’ has raised more than £2 million for charity.
- It’s an easy way to get rid of your vehicle and raise money for a great cause – at no cost to you.
- Give a Car arrange free collection, then either sell your car at auction or scrap it – with the proceeds going to ME Association.
- Visit the Give a Car website or phone them (020 7736 4242), for more information.
Do you buy anything online? Books? Groceries? Clothes? Medical Supplies? Furniture? Holidays?
If so, you’re not alone – over 87% of people in the UK bought something online in the last 12 months. There are now some really great ways in which you can support the ME Association every time you shop online.
1. Amazon Smile
Amazon now offers an even wider variety of goods for sale, and, by using Amazon Smile, you’ll ensure a portion of your basket is donated to the ME Association every time you shop!
- Visit Amazon Smile,
- You may be prompted to log-in if you are already registered with Amazon or be asked to register if not,
- Enter ‘Myalgic’ in the ‘Pick your own charitable organisation’ box and press search when prompted,
- You will see the ME Association at the top of the list. Just click ‘select’,
- Ensure you visit Amazon Smile whenever you make a purchase in future (rather than the usual Amazon website).
- It can be easier to bookmark Amazon Smile on your browser so that you can quickly locate it.
You’ll find all the same products on Amazon Smile at all the same prices and Amazon will clearly mark which are eligible for their donation.
You won’t need to make any further changes as your shopping cart and your wish lists will automatically be the same.
- If you would like to learn more about Amazon Smile and the opportunity that it offers for you to donate to your favourite charity at no extra cost to you, please click here.
Once registered, every time you visit an affiliated online retailer, easyfundraising is activated, and whatever you spend on groceries, gifts, medical supplies, even holidays, automatically results in a donation to the ME Association.
- To register please visit the ME Association easyfundraising page and enter your personal details,
- easyfundraising is great for most forms of online shopping so long as the retailer is affiliated,
- When you visit a connected retailer online, a prompt to activate easyfundraising will appear,
- If no prompt appears, you can select easyfundraising at any time from the icon which will be installed on your browser.
3. eBay for charity
We are thrilled to announce the relaunch of the ME Association’s charity page on eBay.
Donate when making a purchase:
- By joining the Charity programme and making small changes to the way you use eBay, you can make a big difference to the ME Association.
- Make the ME Association your favourite charity on eBay today!
- You will then be able to directly donate to the ME Association at checkout when you purchase any item, and,
- As your favourite charity, you can easily donate a little extra if you want to do so.
Donate when selling:
- You can now list items to sell on the ME Association’s charity page, and then decide how much of the sale price you want to donate.
- When finalising your listing:
- simply turn on the option “Donate a portion to charity”,
- select the ME Association as your choice, and,
- decide what percentage of funds you want to donate.
eBay have produced this short video to help explain what you need to do. All these efforts allow you to easily support our valuable work. Your donations are tax-deductible and as a charitable seller, eBay rewards your support by offering a fee credit based on your donation percentage to ME Association.
Printer cartridge and toner recycling
- Please use Freephone 0800 091 0696 or visit the Recycling Factory to find out how to recycle your inkjet and toner cartridges.
- It’s a completely FREE service and the ME Association will receive up to £4.50 for every printer cartridge that can be successfully recycled. Please do not send Epson cartridges.
We all like to recycle where we can. And if you are having a good clear out, please think about donating your unwanted items.
Used stamps, pieces of broken jewellery, foreign bank notes, mobile phones, printer cartridges, cameras, gadgets, computer games, or even your old banger of a car to the ME Association.
It’s all pretty straightforward…
Recycling small amounts:
We can recycle:
- Any jewellery – gold, silver, costume jewellery, watches, broken and damaged items (like odd earrings, snapped chains or items with missing stones).
- Any unwanted banknotes – old and new, UK and foreign banknotes, including all the pre-Euro notes that are now worthless to you. Please do NOT send coins.
Simply wrap, pack in your own envelope or jiffy bag, no bigger than A5, print and cut out this label and send – free of charge.
Recycling larger amounts:
If you have larger items to recycle in bulk or wish to start a recycling project with your friends, school or community, then you can donate between 10-30kg free of charge:
- Jewellery & Watches (in any material even if damaged or broken),
- Currency – coins or banknotes, UK and foreign (even if out of circulation),
- Mobile Phones,
- Cameras – old film, digital and video,
- Stamps – loose, single, albums, first day covers, presentation packs, collections, postcard collections,
- Gadgets – Sat-Navs, Ipods, MP3 players, games consoles, games and accessories, Laptops and Tablet Computers.
Once you have gathered between 10-30kg of items, please contact Recycling for Good Causes to arrange for free collection of items and don’t forget to let them know you want proceeds to be donated to the ME Association.
Stamps – Including collections
If you are fortunate enough to receive cards or letters in the post, please save up your stamps.
You can then post them to the address shown opposite (just click the image to read).
All we ask is that you cut around loose stamps leaving a margin of 5-10mm of envelope before posting.
Help and Support
Here to help you – every step of the way!
We’ll help you turn your idea into reality – whatever it is you want to do – and we can give you the support you need to get started and help promote your event, if you would like us to do so.
Whatever you decide, if you choose to raise funds for the ME Association, be sure to take plenty of photographs – we’d love to be able to report your event on our website, social media, and in our members magazine, ME Essential.
Tony Britton, our Fundraiser, is here to help you every step of the way. Feel free to contact him whenever you have any questions.
You can contact Tony by email, on phone him on 01406 371 318, mobile: 07946 760 811.
The ME Association
Please support our vital work
We are a national charity working hard to make the UK a better place for people whose lives have been devastated by an often-misunderstood neurological disease.
If you would like to support our efforts and ensure we are able to inform, support, advocate and invest in biomedical research, then please donate today.
Just click the image opposite or visit our JustGiving page for one-off donations or to establish a regular payment. You can even establish your own fundraising event.
ME Association Registered Charity Number 801279
Visit the other pages in this section: